Friday, October 5, 2012

Swimming-0 Beau-1

We've decided to no longer be in swimming.  A few weeks ago while at swimming, the instructor took beau's floaty devices away, leaving him to swim with only the guidance and help from his instructor.  There were a few times he struggled while swimming across the short end of the pool.  Water was up to his chin.  He finished swimming the distance and told the instructor he had to go potty (props for not peeing in the pool!).  I came over to get him and asked him if he was okay.  He told me he didn't have to go potty, rather he wasn't going back in the water.  I took him to the bathroom and he told me again 'there was no way he was going back there.'  Well, we went back and he entered the water for a few more minutes and then we left. We got home and I couldn't help but feel bad. 

On Monday of this week, he asked me if he had to go back to swimming.  I told him we would try it again and I would talk to his instructor and ask that they keep the floatys on him.  He was okay with this.  Wednesday came and well, he didn't make it into the pool.  We arrived and he told me he wanted to just watch.  So we watched.  He started feeling more comfortable and said he wanted to go in.  We walked over, grabbed a noodle and a floaty belt.  He was already to get in.  Then....changed his mind.  So we left.

We left and he told me he was afraid.  Again I felt bad for him.  I don't want swimming to leave a bad taste in his mouth.  I was disappointed the instructor never told him why she took his flotation devices away from him.  The reason she took them away was because she felt he was ready to move forward without them.  This would have been huge for him and would have reassured him that he is a GREAT swimmer.  Instead what beau saw was other kids with them and he was left without them.  This is huge for a 3 year old.  3 year olds want to do what their friends are doing.

I couldn't help but ask myself if I pushed him with too many things...a new school, AWANA and swimming.  This is A LOT, a lot for anyone. A friend reassured me today that sometimes it's okay to push your child.  There will be things they grab a hold of and times they'll simply tell you they don't want to do something.  I respect the fact that he isn't going to be in swimming and that my 3 year old son told me he was afraid and didn't want to be in it anymore.  I respected him enough to not push him.  His opinions and feelings matter.  I would have felt the same way he did....As parents, we pick our battles. In my opinion, this was not a battle to pick.  I would not like someone pushing me to do something I didn't want to do or feel comfortable.  So parents, communicate with your child- even if they are only 3.  They are important people too.

So, here's to hoping that swimming will be eventually be a positive experience for him.  He loved the first class he was in and loved to swim this past summer.  I'm hoping this too shall pass.  And yes, I will be contacting the Y to give my food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment